830 Main Street
Formerly the Saltz Building, this two-storey brick building located on Main Street was constructed in 1926 in what was then called Devalle Town. Originally, the downstairs was a mercantile store, and the upstairs served as a home for the Saltz family and tenants who lived in apartments. Constructed of three courses of solid brick, the exterior walls are almost two feet thick. An alley way, suitable only for a Model T, transversed the west side of the building. Inside the building the interior was appointed with depression tin ceilings and red pine four panel doors and red pine strip flooring.
The building was rehabilitated in 1979 by Don Arnold, an architect with the firm of Arnold and Post and J. W. Grand of Grand Construction. The style of the restoration was to provide an old New Orleans atmosphere. The small driveway on the west side of the building was converted to a courtyard entranceway with a wrought iron gate. Antique French glass doors were added to the offices to provide an open view of the landscaped courtyard. The front door of the building is an early 19th century solid oak carriage door replete with an arched stained-glass transom and side lights recovered from a Beer Baron’s mansion in Ohio. The reception area and the two front executive offices feature the restored depression tin ceiling from the original building. The walls of the reception area, the hallway and Jim Boren’s office are wainscoted with late 18th century eight panel New Orleans cypress doors. Chicago brick floors were added to these areas to further the old New Orleans look.
The upstairs features the restored red pine flooring and original red pine doors. It also has a balcony to which was added a wrought iron enclosure in the New Orleans style of the building.